What We Do
Under the executive direction of the General Counsel, the Office of General Law provides legal advice and services with respect to:
- Acquisitions and financial assistance, including grants and loans;
- Appropriations, fiscal law and financial management;
- Equal employment opportunity and other civil rights matters;
- Employee ethical conduct, conflicts of interest, and political activities;
- Federal personnel and employment;
- Information technology investment and capital planning;
- Innovative financing and public private partnerships; and
- Real property and asset management.
Departmental Equal Employment and Personnel (DEEP) Lawyers' Networking Group
The Office of General Law coordinates the DEEP Networking Group, which connects lawyers throughout the Department of Transportation who practice in the substantive areas of equal employment and personnel law. The DEEP Networking Group, currently comprised of 138 members, provides an opportunity to address equal employment and personnel issues through guest speakers from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, U.S. Merit Systems Protection Board, other government agencies, private industry, as well as information-sharing and networking sessions. The DEEP Networking Group meets monthly, except for June, July and December. The meetings are open to non-lawyers who work in the area (Equal Employment Opportunity and Human Resources representatives).