DOT HEADQUARTERS PARKING PROGRAM BULLETIN
BULLETIN #: TSB-2015-03
DATE: January 9, 2014
SUBJECT: DOT Headquarters Parking Facility Policy Revision (Stacked and Tandem Parking and Extended Hours) and New Vehicle Barriers Operational Changes
PURPOSE: This Bulletin provides guidance on the Department of Transportation (DOT) Headquarters parking policy changes and to provide some operational changes that drivers need to be aware of as they enter and exit the parking garage.
Definitions: Stacked Parking: Parking in drive aisle as directed by a parking attendant.
Tandem Parking: One space shared by two vehicles; the first vehicle to arrive parks toward the wall. The second vehicle parks behind the first vehicle.
1) Customers must leave the ignition key with a parking attendant if the vehicle is parked stacked or tandem.
2) Customers can pick up their key at the attendants booth on the P1 level from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Keys not retrieved by 8:00 PM will be secured by the Contractor, and will be available the next working day at 6:00 AM at the Attendant Booth on P-1
(Supersedes Section 8.0, para C. of DOT HQ Parking Facility Policy, October 2011).
OPERATIONAL CHANGES FOR ENTERING AND EXITING THE HEADQUARTERS PARKING GARAGE.
ENTERING THE GARAGE
The process remains the same. From 6:00 a.m.to 9:30 a.m., Monday – Friday, except holidays, the barriers in the two inbound lanes will be in the down position
and the traffic arms will be down. Drivers will swipe their ID at the card reader, await the traffic arm to lift and proceed to the garage.
For all other hours, the barriers in the two inbound lanes will be raised, all traffic arms will be down, and the traffic lights will be red. It is extremely important that drivers pay attention to the traffic lights, and do not tailgate the vehicle in front of them.
EXITING THE GARAGE
From 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, except holidays, the process remains the same. The barriers in the two outbound lanes will be down, the traffic arm at the barrier will be down, and the traffic lights will be amber.
For all other hours the barriers will be raised, all traffic arms will be down, and the traffic lights will be red. During these times it’s important for vehicles to not tailgate one another as vehicles can become “trapped” within the lane.
- A vehicle must pass through both gates before another vehicle can begin the exit process.
- The last traffic arm will not lift until the barrier rises back up. The barrier will not rise if another vehicle pulls up to the barriers prior to the first vehicle completing the exit process.
- Exiting vehicles must wait behind the orange cones if a vehicle is in their lane and trying to exit the barriers. Do not approach the barrier until the vehicle in front of you has exited thru the last traffic arm and the arm has dropped back down. Once the arm drops, you may approach the barrier and continue thru to the exit traffic arm.
- The right exiting lane is only for vehicles turning right onto Tingey Street.
- The left exiting lane is only for vehicles turning left onto Tingey Street.
EXPIRATION DATE: This Bulletin will remain in effect until canceled.
CONTACT: If you have additional questions please contact your modal POC or firstname.lastname@example.org.