The Combating Human Trafficking in Commercial Vehicles Act (Pub. L. No. 115-99) requires the establishment of a Department of Transportation Advisory Committee on Human Trafficking (ACHT) to make recommendations on actions the Department can take to help combat human trafficking, and to develop recommended best practices for States and State and local transportation stakeholders in combatting human trafficking. The Federal Register Notice that was published on July 6, 2018 to solicit nominations for membership provides additional details.
The Advisory Committee on Human Trafficking submitted its Final Report on July 2nd, 2019.
- The fourth and final ACHT public meeting will take place on June 17, 2019 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:10 p.m. (EDT), in Washington D.C., via teleconference. Additional details are provided in the Meeting 4 Agenda and Federal Register Notice.
Meeting 4 will include an overview of the final ACHT Final Report Draft for Adoption and a vote to adopt the document.
- The third ACHT public meeting will take place on May 16, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Washington, DC at DOT Headquarters. Additional meeting details are provided within the Meeting 3 Agenda and Federal Register Notice.
Meeting 3 included discussion and deliberation regarding the ACHT Draft Final Report.
- The second ACHT public meeting took place on March 12, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Washington, DC at DOT Headquarters. The certified Meeting Minutes, Meeting 2 Agenda and Federal Register Notice provide additional details.
- The first public meeting of the ACHT took place on December 6, 2018 in Washington, DC at DOT Headquarters. The certified Meeting Minutes, Federal Register Notice that was published on November 21, 2018, and the Meeting 1 Agenda provide additional details.
ACHT, established by Charter on October 3, 2018, is comprised of 15 members appointed by the Secretary of Transportation to serve for the life of the committee. The members of the ACHT are a cross-section of stakeholders from both industry and labor, including representatives from the aviation, bus, law enforcement, maritime, port, rail, and trucking sectors.
- Chairperson: Catherine Todd Bailey, Former U.S. Ambassador to Latvia
- Vice Chairperson: Linda Burtwistle, President & COO, Coach USA; Board Member, American Bus Association
- Paul Anderson, President and CEO, Port Tampa Bay
- Nicole Clifton, Vice President, Global Public Affairs, United Parcel Service
- Sherri Garner Brumbaugh, President and CEO, Garner Transportation Group; Vice-Chair, American Trucking Associations
- Michelle Guelbart, Director, Private Sector Engagement, ECPAT-USA
- Greg Hynes, Alternate National Legislative Director, International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail, and Transportation Workers (SMART-TD)
- Kristen Joyner, Executive Director, South West Transit Association
- Loretta Kennedy, Director, Domestic Operations and Investigations, JetBlue Airways
- Laura J. Lederer, President, Global Centurion
- David Lorenzen, Chief, Iowa Motor Vehicle Enforcement, Iowa DOT
- Kendis Paris, Executive Director, Truckers Against Trafficking
- Mi Yung Park, Government Relations Director, A21
- Eric Smith, Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer, Hendry Marine Industries
- Lynn Thoman, Adjunct Professor of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University