Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Request for Information on Integration of Automated Driving Systems (ADS) into the Highway Transportation System - Docket comment period closed on March 5, 2018
- To better understand what is needed to accommodate ADS technologies, and maximizing their potential benefits, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) seeks the public's input through a formal RFI to supplement strategy development. Advancing the next generation of America's transportation network can only happen with input from an array of informed sources, including stakeholders, industry experts and the public at large.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Request for Comments Concerning Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) Which May Be a Barrier to the Safe Testing and Deployment of Automated Driving Systems-Equipped Commercial Motor Vehicles on Public Roads - Docket comment period closes on May 10, 2018
- FMCSA requests public comments on existing Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) that may need to be updated, modified, or eliminated to facilitate the safe introduction of automated driving systems (ADS) equipped commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) onto our Nation's roadways.
Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Request for Information on Automation in the Railroad Industry - Docket comment period closes on May 7, 2018
- FRA requests information and comment on the future of automation in the railroad industry. FRA is interested in hearing from industry stakeholders, the public, local and State governments, and any other interested parties on the potential benefits, costs, risks, and challenges to implementing automated railroad operations. FRA also seeks comment on how the agency can best support the railroad industry's development and implementation of new and emerging technologies in automation that could lead to safety improvements or increased efficiencies in railroad operations.
- Broad Agency Announcement for Research Initiatives in Support of Rail Safety - Response Date: May 24, 2018 at 1:00pm Eastern
- The purpose of this Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) is to solicit a variety of basic and applied technology research projects that will support the strategic objectives of the Office of Research, Development and Technology and the research needs of the four Federal Railroad Administration research divisions.
- Broad Agency Announcement for Intelligent Railroad System Research- Response Date: July 27, 2018 at 1:00pm Eastern
- The purpose of this Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) is to solicit basic and applied technology research projects that will support Department of Transportation and Federal Railroad Administration goals to advance automation in the rail industry.
Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
- Request for Comments on Automated Transit Buses Research Program - Docket comment period closed on March 2, 2018
- This RFC will obtain transit industry comment regarding the current and near-future status of automated transit buses and related technologies. Comments received will assist FTA in developing future Notices of Funding Opportunity’s (NOFO) for transit bus automation demonstrations with respect to the industry’s ability and interest. Concepts for the NOFOs on demonstrations and evaluations of transit bus automation usage will be defined in FTA’s Strategic Transit Automation Research (STAR) plan. A premise of the STAR plan is to leverage and apply commercially available technology and products to the public transit industry to hasten early demonstrable outcomes.
- Request for Comments on Removing Barriers to Transit Bus Automation - Docket comment period closed on March 2, 2018
- This RFC will obtain transit industry comment regarding current or potential institutional, regulatory, or other policy barriers to the development, demonstration, deployment, and evaluation of automated transit buses and related technologies. Some Federal policy issues are addressed in the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Automated Driving Systems (ADS): A Vision for Safety 2.0. Information from the second RFC will help inform FTA’s approach to the planned update of this document, which may include additional multi-modal considerations. Information from the RFC will also provide critical feedback on potential modifications of FTA rules, regulations, and agency guidance.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Request for Comments on Removing Regulatory Barriers for Automated Driving Systems - Docket comment period closed on March 20, 2018
- The National Highway Traffic-Safety Administration (NHTSA) seeks comments to identify any unnecessary regulatory barriers to Automated Safety Technologies, and for the testing and compliance certification of motor vehicles with unconventional automated vehicles designs, particularly those that are not equipped with controls for a human driver. Further, NHTSA seeks comments on the research that would be required to remove such regulatory barriers.
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA)
- Request for Information on Regulatory Challenges to Safely Transporting Hazardous Materials by Surface Modes in an Automated Vehicle Environment - Docket comment period closes on May 7, 2018
- PHMSA requests information on matters related to the development and potential use of automated technologies for surface modes (i.e.,highway and rail) in hazardous materials transportation. In anticipation of the development, testing, and integration of Automated Driving Systems in surface transportation, PHMSA is issuing this request for information on the factors the Agency should consider to ensure continued safe transportation of hazardous materials without impeding emerging surface transportation technologies.