Each year at the annual winter meeting of the Transportation Research Board, during the Council of University Transportation Centers Banquet, the U.S. Department of Transportation recognizes outstanding students from the University Transportation Centers (UTC) for their achievements and accomplishments in the transportation field during the year.
This year's banquet will be held at the Marriott Marquis in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2018, at 6:30 pm.
Nominations are being accepted from UTC's with active grants under the 2013, 2014, and 2016 competitions.
Submissions should be emailed to UTC_SOY@dot.gov with the subject line: 2017 SOY Nomination(s).
Final date to submit nominations: 5:00 PM ET, Friday, November 3, 2017.
- Student name (include phonetic spelling)
- Student e-mail address
- University Name
- UTC Grant Award Number
- Student bio/information
- Confirmation that the student is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (no exemptions or exceptions)
- Name of Student’s banquet guest
- High-resolution head-shot / photo of student (electronic format; minimum 300 dpi)
- Must have received financial support from the UTC Program for at least 2 semesters prior to receiving the award.
- Must have completed at least 12 hours of graduate coursework, with a grade of B or higher, at the time of nomination/selection for the award.
- Must have a graduate GPA of 3.25 (out of 4.00) or higher.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Eligible students should be selected for award based on 1. Technical Merit and Research Capability; 2. Academic Performance; and 3. Leadership.
Technical merit and research capability should be evaluated based on faculty observation as noted in the nomination as well as in the review of submitted written papers and/or reports. Academic performance should be evaluated based on the courses attempted and grades attained. Eligible students must have completed at least 12 hours of graduate coursework with a grade of B or higher. Leadership should be evaluated based on the students demonstrated ability with presenting at professional society meetings and symposia. Leadership can also be evaluated against the student's involvement in student-level professional activities.
Selection Process Guidelines:
Each UTC should establish a selection committee consisting of faculty representatives from each consortium university and external reviewers if desired. This committee should evaluate written documentation submitted by students and select the awardee.
Nominations should be requested by the UTC to include the following information which will assist the evaluations:
- Academic transcript
- Short vita and/or biographical sketch
- Nomination letter from at least one faculty member
- Copy of paper(s) written by the nominee
US DOT Award Details:
- US DOT Certificate
- Travel, lodging, and registration fees associated with attendance at the annual Transporation Review Board meeting and Council of University Transportation Centers banquet
- Banquet ticket for one (1) guest
TRB/CUTC Banquet Details:
- Saturday, January 6, 2018
- Marriott Marquis, 901 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
Students are asked to attend the banquet and expected to remain for the duration, as a 2017 Outstanding Students of the Year group photo will be taken at the end of the banquet.