TRANSIT BENEFIT PROGRAM BULLETIN
BULLETIN #: TSB-2014-06
DATE: April 2, 2014
SUBJECT: New Orleans RTA Online Store – TRANServe Debit Card Ready for Purchase of Jazzy Passes
PURPOSE: To notify TRANServe customers that New Orleans RTA is now debit- ready via their online store for the purchase of Jazzy Passes. TRANServe will convert all participants from the New Orleans RTD 30 day paper pass to the TRANServe Debit Card to purchase the Jazzy Pass.
BACKGROUND: In February of 2014, RTA launched its online store for transit as part of a new initiative to improve service for its riders. The online store exclusively sells Jazzy Passes in 1-day ($3.00), 3-day ($9.00) and monthly ($55.00) increments that allow participants to commute on RTA busses and streetcars.
How the Jazzy Pass Works
When the Jazzy Pass is purchased, it is inactive. To begin using the Jazzy Pass, participants will need to dip it into the fare machine at the time of boarding a bus or streetcar; the machine will then activate the card and stamp the back with the time and date the Jazzy Pass expires. A "transit day" on the RTA system ends at 4 a.m. It does not matter what time of day you activate your Jazzy Pass, it will stop working at 4 a.m. on the following morning.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
Jazzy Passes are purchased online using the TRANServe Debit Card. Purchasing a Jazzy Pass Online using the TRANServe Debit Card
- Log onto New Orleans RTA website at www.norta.com and click on the gray “Buy Passes” box
- Select the Jazzy Pass that you’d like to purchase – 1-day, 3-day, Monthly (There is an additional $2.50 surcharge for purchasing online. If pass amount is $55.00, participant’s certified monthly debit card amount must be $57.50)
- Enter shipping address (where Jazzy Pass will be mailed)
- Enter billing information (using the TRANServe Debit Card, participants work address)
- Review order
- Complete transaction
- Receipt available upon completion of transaction
- Board bus or streetcar, dip card into fare machine
Please note, transit benefits are deposited directly onto the TRANServe Debit Card on the 10th of each month and swept on the 9th of each month. Participants must use benefits by the 9th of the month, at which time unused benefits are returned to their agency.
- Coordinate with your TBM a detailed transition plan from paper fare media to the TRANServe Debit Card.
- Review your participant listing with your TBM to ensure all affected participants receive the TRANServe Debit Card.
- Review participant’s certified amount to confirm it covers the additional $2.50 surcharge for purchasing online (if it does not, the participant must recertify for the correct monthly amount).
- Upon receipt of the TRANServe Debit Card, participants must activate the card by calling Chase Customer Service at 1-866-891-6951 or by visiting www.ucard.chase.com and will need the following information:
- Work phone number
- Work zip code
- Agency-assigned Common Identiﬁer
5. Visit http://transerve.dot.gov/debit-card.html#/user-faqs for information about the debit card and share it with your participants.
CONTACT: If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact your TRANServe Transit Benefit Manager or the EFM Support Team by email at EFMSupport@dot.gov and by phone at 202-366-9244