BICYCLE BENEFIT PROGRAM BULLETIN
Bicycle Reimbursement Program Guidance
Bulletin No: TSB 2013 -07
Date: January 30, 2013
SUBJECT: Bicycle Benefit Claims: October through December 2012
PURPOSE: This Bulletin provides updated guidance on the Department of Transportation (DOT) Bicycle Benefit Program.
BACKGROUND: On January 1, 2009, the qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement was added to the list of qualified transportation fringe benefits covered in section 132 (f) of the Internal Revenue Service Code, which addresses the tax consequences of certain fringe benefit programs.
Action Items: To assure timely processing, please scan and email all bicycle benefit claim documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2013. The Parking Transit Office must adhere to deadlines in compliance with established IRS regulations. If your claim is not paid by March 31st, it becomes taxable income. To assure timely, accurate processing:
- Complete the certification form, found in DOT Bicycle Benefit Policy Appendix A and here: https://www.transportation.gov/transerve/participants.html
- Complete Standard Form 1164, found in DOT Bicycle Benefit Policy Appendix B or here: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/download/4366F7D7DC67B9AC85256A720047DB33
- Scan receipts
- Obtain the appropriate signatures.
DOT OAs (excluding FAA): Please ensure participants have received your signature on certification forms prior to proceeding to item 4.Mailing instructions.
- Complete the Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form found in DOT Bicycle Benefit Policy Appendix C
- This document is required for first time bicycle benefit submission
- This document is required for any changes in your banking information
- Mailing Instructions:
Scan and email all certification forms, receipts, completed SF Form 1164s, and the Direct Deposit Sign-up Form to email@example.com
You will receive an email to confirm receipt of all required documents.
- FAA employees ONLY: Mail claims to:
FAA Transit Benefit Office
ATTN: Bicycle Benefits
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW Room 229
Washington, DC 20591
INFORMATION: Claims will not be accepted after the deadline. The recommended submission date for costs incurred October through December is February 15, 2013. The deadline is March 1st.
The cash reimbursement will be posted to your account after approval by the authorized certifying officer. You will be notified of incomplete claim documentation via email.
EXPIRATION DATE: This Bulletin will remain in effect until canceled.
CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or if you require additional information.