TRANSIT BENEFIT PROGRAM BULLETIN
Bulletin Number: TSB-2013-04
Date: November 1, 2012
Subject: Return of Excess Transit Benefits
Purpose: To inform commercial van pool companies and other 3rd party vendors of the steps necessary for the timely return of excess transit benefits previously held on account for TRANServe Agencies and other Federal Agencies.
Background: The Transit benefit provided to eligible federal employees is calculated on a monthly basis as required under 26 CFR § 1.132-9, and as such, employees are not permitted to accumulate benefits in excess of their actual monthly commuting costs or to use accumulated benefits to offset commuting costs in subsequent months. Furthermore, overestimating transit costs, giving or selling transit benefits to others, or purchasing transit benefits from unauthorized sources is prohibited.
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB), on April 27, 2012, directed that accumulated transit benefit funds held in excess of the actual monthly commuting cost (as required under 26 CFR 1.132-9) be returned to the U.S. Department of the Treasury and that federal agencies strengthen internal controls to ensure compliance with the Federal Transit Benefit Program. To accomplish these directives, OMB designated the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), Office of Assistant Secretary for Administration [TRANServe], as the lead Federal agency to assist in the timely return of the Federal funds from van pool companies and 3rd party vendors.
1. When returning the excess funds held on account companies shall submit the following information:
- Funds origin, to include agency and location
- Dollars segregated by agency
- Name and location of the van pool operator
2. The information shall be encrypted to protect the data and transmitted via e-mail to TRANServe@dot.gov consistent with the timing of the return of funds. The e-mail subject line should state “Pay.gov Excess Transit Benefit Funds Remittance”.
3. The associated funds shall be returned via Pay.gov. Access the Pay.gov website; look for Find Public Forms type DOTWCF in the search field. Click DOT OST Working Capital Fund Miscellaneous Payments. Complete all fields with the requested information. Select Other for reason for payment and include the following statement in the information box: Excess Transit Benefit Funds. (See attached Pay.gov Screen Shots)
INFORMATION: For more information concerning the recovery of the excess federal https://www.transportation.gov/transerve and click the link for “Return of Excess Transit Benefits”