TRANSIT BENEFIT PROGRAM BULLETIN
Bulletin Number: TSB 2013-03
Date: October 17, 2012
SUBJECT: ORCA ALERT - Washington State Ferry Pricing Change
PURPOSE: To notify Agency Points of Contact (POCs) that the cost of the Fiscal Year (FY) 2013 Washington State Ferry pass exceeds the federal transit benefit statutory limit of $125.00 per month. Beginning November 1, 2012 all DOT TRANServe Washington State Ferry participants in the ORCA annual pass program will incur out of pocket monthly costs of $22.99. This notification affects only those participants who ride the Washington State Ferry.
BACKGROUND: Kitsap Transit notified TRANServe that the Washington State Ferry has instituted a price increase affecting the FY 2013 transit benefit period. Combined with the current statutory limit of $125.00, this requires a monthly out of pocket expense for federal transit benefit participants. In order to use the federal transit benefit for the Washington State Ferry an e-voucher should be used. The following information provides the e-voucher process.
ACTION: Participants must logon to the ORCA website to get the e-voucher to partially cover the cost of the ferry pass and pay the monthly out of pocket cost of $22.99 by debit/credit card.
How to create a My ORCA account with a registered ORCA card:
- Go to: www.orcacard.com
- Select “Have A Card”
- Select “Create an account”
- Select “Yes. I have a registered card”
- Enter your card numbers and the zip code you provided on your registration form
- Enter the answer to the Secret Question “What is your favorite food?” that you provided on your registration form
- Select a username and password and enter your email address.
- To change your Secret Question and/or answer select “Update Personal Details” from you My ORCA Account Welcome page
How to set up your e-voucher:
- Go to: www.orcacard.com
- Login with your username and password
- Select the card you want to add value to (NOTE: If you have multiple cards, select the card you’d like to add value. You will have to complete a separate transaction for each card.)
- Select: “Add Value” (left navigation pane)
- Select the type of product you’d like to add to the specified card (ex. Add an Agency-specific Pass, valid for services operated by one Agency.)
- Choose a pass product (ex. WSF Central Sound Monthly Pass)
- Choose the month
- If there are more passes needed choose 'Continue Shopping' and repeat steps 4, 5 and 6.
- If not, choose 'Pay Now'
- Choose your e-voucher
- Use a debit/credit card for the remaining balance.
- 'Submit Payment'
Please know it takes at least 24 hours for the value to process. After that, tap your card at an ORCA card reader to activate the value and pay your fare.
Only one debit/credit card may be used to pay the balance. The above process needs to be completed before Nov 1 and the first of each month thereafter.
INFORMATION: For more information and assistance with this process contact ORCA Customer Service at 1-888-988-6722. If you have TRANServe related questions or concerns, please contact your Transit Benefit Manager or Electronic Fare Media team on (202) 366-9244.