BICYCLE BENEFIT PROGRAM BULLETIN
Bicycle Reimbursement Program Guidance
Bulletin No: TSB 2012-04
Date: February 21, 2012
SUBJECT: March 1, 2012 Bicycle Benefit Claim Submission Deadline
PURPOSE: This Bulletin provides updated guidance on the Department of Transportation (DOT) Bicycle Benefit Program.
BACKGROUND: In 1993, Congress enacted the Federal Employees Clean Air Incentives Act, Pub. L. No.103-172, 107 Stat. 1995 (Dec. 2, 1993), codified as 5 U.S.C. § 7905, which authorizes each Agency head to establish a program to encourage employees to use means other than single occupancy motor vehicles to commute to and from work.
On January 1, 2009, the qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement was added to the list of qualified transportation fringe benefits covered in section 132 (f) of the Internal Revenue Service Code, which addresses the tax consequences of certain fringe benefit programs.
Action Items: Scan and email all bicycle benefit claim documents to email@example.com, no later than March 1, 2012.
The Parking Transit Office must adhere to firm receipt deadlines in compliance with established IRS regulations. To assure timely, accurate processing:
- Complete the certification form, found in DOT Bicycle Benefit Policy Appendix A and here: http://transerve.dot.gov/participants.html#dot-transit-benefits
- Complete Standard Form 1164, found in DOT Bicycle Benefit Policy Appendix B or here: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/download/4366F7D7DC67B9AC85256A720047DB33
- Scan receipts
- Obtain the appropriate signatures.
- Complete the Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form found in DOT Bicycle Benefit Policy Appendix C
- This document is required for first time bicycle benefit submission
- This document is required for any changes in your banking information
- Mailing Instructions:
- DOT OAs (excluding FAA): It is recommended you scan and email all certification forms, receipts, completed SF Form 1164s, and the Direct Deposit Sign-up Form to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1st. You will receive an email to confirm receipt of all required documents.
- FAA employees ONLY: Mail claims to:
FAA Transit Benefit Office
ATTN: Bicycle Benefits
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591
INFORMATION: Processing of claims received after the deadline cannot be guaranteed. The final submission date for costs incurred October through December is March 1, 2012. The cash reimbursement will be posted to your account after approval by the authorized certifying officer. You will be notified of incomplete claim documentation via email.
EXPIRATION DATE: This Bulletin will remain in effect until canceled.
CONTACT: email@example.com with questions or require additional information, please contact.