Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology
The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research and Technology (OST-R), works at the dynamic intersection of new and emerging technologies, transportation data, policy, research and all modes of transportation across the Department. Our mission is to facilitate the transformation of our transportation system–making it safer, more efficient, competitive, accessible and sustainable. To do this, we:
- Advance innovation, technology development, and breakthrough knowledge
- Facilitate research and multimodal research collaboration
- Foster technology transfer through partnerships both within the Department and with other Federal agencies, academia and private entities
- Provide decision makers with useful statistics and information of the highest quality and integrity
- Develop a skilled interdisciplinary transportation workforce for the nation
OST-R coordinates the Department’s research investment, oversees the development of Annual Modal Research Plans, and provides opportunities for research collaboration with public and private sector partners.
We also engage in complex issues related to the enabling technologies behind transportation’s future, like artificial intelligence, the 5.9Ghz “Safety Band” of spectrum for vehicle automation, the global positioning system (GPS), and the changing face of the transportation economy.
Collaboration is our touchstone. We recognize and promote the collective talents of the Department, our university partners, and external stakeholders – we work to encourage private-public partnerships based on mutual support, cooperation and transparency.