Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) Grant Program

General Grant Program Information

Under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), the Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) program provides financial support for planning, infrastructure, behavioral, and operational initiatives to prevent death and serious injury on roads and streets involving all roadway users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, public transportation users and operators, personal conveyance, micromobility users, motorists, and commercial vehicle operators.

The SS4A program supports the development of comprehensive safety action plans that identify the most significant roadway safety concerns in a community and the implementation of projects and strategies to address roadway safety issues. The SS4A program provides funding for two types of grants: Planning and Demonstration Grants and Implementation Grants.

Opportunity Status:
Open
Posted Date:
Close Date:
Eligible Applicants:
State Governments; Local Governments; Federally Recognized Tribes and Affiliated Groups; Planning and Project Organizations; Transportation Providers and Operators; Academic and Research Institutions; U.S. Territories
Eligible Activities:
Planning; Construction; Equipment and Materials; Operations and Maintenance; Technology Demonstrations and Deployment; Technical Assistance, Workforce Development, and Training/Education; Accessibility
Transportation Type:
Bike/Ped Roadway Transit
Most Recent Annual Program Funding Amount:
$1,256,687,000
Annual Award Amount:
$100,000 - $25 Million
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement:
Yes
Match Waiver:
No
Rural Set-Aside:
No
Tribal Set-Aside:
No
Grant Opportunity ID:
DOT-SS4A-FY24-01
Agency:
USDOT / Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST)

Eligibility Information

Eligible Applicants

Eligible applicants include the following: 

  • A political subdivision of a State or territory, defined in the fiscal year (FY) 2024 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) as a unit of government created under the authority of State law. This includes cities, towns, counties, special districts, certain transit agencies, and similar units of local government created under State law.
  • A federally recognized Tribal government.
  • Metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs).
  • A multijurisdictional group of entities from the ones described above (select one lead applicant from group).

Eligible Uses

Eligible uses of Planning and Demonstration Grants include activities such as:

  • Goal setting
  • Safety analyses
  • Equity representation
  • Policy and process improvement
  • Strategic planning 
  • Demonstration activities that will inform the development of an Action Plan

Eligible uses of Implementation Grant funds include carrying out projects and strategies identified in an Action Plan. Examples include:

  • Applying low-cost roadway safety treatments system-wide
  • Transforming roadway corridors on a High-Injury Network into a Complete Street 
  • Installing pedestrian safety enhancements 
  • Carrying out speed management strategies 
  • Creating safe routes to school
  • Conducting education campaigns
  • Reducing roadway departure crashes through additional safety infrastructure
  • Improving the safety of intersections

Funding Information

The SS4A program is authorized at $1 billion in competitive grants per year through FY 2026. There is no statutory minimum or maximum but expected award sizes in fiscal year 2024 are between $100,000 and $25 million depending on the scope.

Federal cost-sharing for planning grants is 80 percent; applicants must provide the remaining 20 percent using non-federal funds (in-kind contributions are allowed). 

Contact Information

Please contact SS4A@dot.gov for more information. 

Disclaimer:
The Dashboard provides users with a high-level overview of relevant Federal discretionary grant programs. The information in the Dashboard is maintained as a secondary resource and may not be updated with the most recent changes to each program's primary guidance materials. Accordingly, please refer to the Federal grant-making agency for the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on a grant opportunity in the Dashboard.

Last updated Date: