Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Low- or No-Emission Grant Program 

General Grant Program Information

The Low- or No-Emission Grant Program 5339I provides funding to purchase or lease zero-emission and low-emission transit buses and for acquisition, construction, and leasing of required supporting facilities.

Opportunity Status:
Posted Date:
Close Date:
Eligible Applicants:
State Governments; Local Governments; Federally Recognized Tribes and Affiliated Groups; Transportation Providers and Operators
Eligible Activities:
Construction; Equipment and Materials; Technical Assistance, Workforce Development, and Training/Education; Climate and Sustainability; Accessibility
Transportation Type:
Annual Award Amount:
$71-78 Million per year FY22-26
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement:
Grant Opportunity ID:
Grant Opportunity Link:
USDOT / Federal Transit Administration (FTA)

Eligibility Information

Eligible uses include purchasing or leasing low- or no-emission buses, acquiring low- or no-emission buses with a leased power source, constructing or leasing facilities and related equipment (including intelligent technology and software) for low- or no-emission buses, constructing new public transportation facilities to accommodate low- or no-emission buses, and rehabilitating or improving existing public transportation facilities to accommodate low- or no-emission buses. For low-emission projects, up to 0.5 percent of a request may be for workforce development training and up to an additional 0.5 percent may be for training at the National Transit Institute (NTI). Applicants for zero-emission projects must spend 5 percent of their award on workforce development and training as outlined in their Zero-Emission Transition Plan, unless the applicant certifies that their financial need is less. 

Funding Information

Starting in 2022, FTA issued a joint Notice of Funding Opportunity for the Buses and Bus Facilities Program and the Low- or No-Emission Grant Program. As a result, applicants may submit the same application to both programs to help ease the administrative burden on applicants. 
The Low- or No-Emission Grant Program made available nearly $1.2 billion for grant opportunities in FY 2022. Over $1.15 billion has been appropriated for FY 2023. As required by statute, a minimum of 25 percent of all funds must be awarded to low-emission projects.

Proposals for funding projects in rural areas of less than 50,000 people that have not been designated in the most recent decennial census as an ‘‘urbanized area’’ must be submitted as part of a consolidated state proposal. 

The maximum federal share for projects that involve leasing or acquiring Clean Air Act (CAA)-compliant or Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)-compliant transit buses is 85 percent of the net cost. Itemization of compliant features is required.

The maximum federal share for the cost of acquiring, installing, or constructing vehicle-related equipment or facilities (including clean fuel or alternative fuel vehicle-related equipment or facilities) to comply with CAA or ADA is 90 percent of the net project cost. Itemization of compliant features is required. 
The federal share of the cost of all other projects is 80 percent; applicants must provide the remaining 20 percent using non-federal funds.

Contact Information

Margaretta Veltri
FTA Office of Program Management 

The Dashboard provides users with a high-level overview of relevant Federal discretionary grant programs. The information in the Dashboard is maintained as a secondary resource and may not be updated with the most recent changes to each program's primary guidance materials. Accordingly, please refer to the Federal grant-making agency for the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on a grant opportunity in the Dashboard.

Last updated: Monday, May 22, 2023