Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Charging and Fueling Infrastructure Grant Program

General Grant Program Information

The Charging and Fueling Infrastructure Grant Program provides funding to strategically deploy publicly accessible electric vehicle charging infrastructure and other alternative fueling infrastructure.

This grant program has two tracks:

  1. Community Charging and Alternative Fueling Grants (Community Program): To install electric vehicle charging and alternative fuel in locations on public roads, schools, parks, and in publicly accessible parking facilities.
  2. Charging and Alternative Fuel Corridor Grants (Corridor Program): To deploy electric vehicle charging and hydrogen/propane/natural gas fueling infrastructure along designated alternative fuel corridors.

Community Program grants will prioritize rural areas as well as low- and moderate-income neighborhoods with low ratios of private parking or high ratios of multiunit dwellings.

Opportunity Status:
Open
Posted Date:
Close Date:
Eligible Applicants:
State Governments; Local Governments; Federally Recognized Tribes and Affiliated Groups; Planning and Project Organizations; Transportation Providers and Operators; U.S. Territories
Eligible Activities:
Planning; Equipment and Materials; Technology Demonstrations and Deployment; Climate and Sustainability; Accessibility
Transportation Type:
Roadway
Most Recent Annual Program Funding Amount:
$1,321,200,000
Cost Sharing or Matching Requirement:
Yes
Match Waiver:
No
Rural Set-Aside:
No
Tribal Set-Aside:
No
Grant Opportunity ID:
693JJ324NF00017
Agency:
USDOT / Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)

Eligibility Information

Eligible applicants for Charging and Fueling Infrastructure Grants include the following:

  • States or political subdivision of States
  • Metropolitan planning organizations
  • Units of local government
  • Special purpose districts or public authorities with a transportation function, including port authorities
  • Indian Tribes
  • U.S. Territories
  • Authorities, agencies, or instrumentalities or entities owned by one or more entities listed above
  • A group of entities listed above
  • State or local authorities with ownership of publicly accessible transportation facilities (applies to Community Program only)

Funding Information

The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law provides $2.5 billion over 5 years for this program to strategically deploy electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure and other alternative fueling infrastructure projects in urban and rural communities in publicly accessible locations, including downtown areas and local neighborhoods, particularly in underserved and disadvantaged communities.

Federal cost-sharing is up to 80 percent; applicant must provide the remaining 20 percent.

Contact Information

CFIGrants@dot.gov

Disclaimer:
The Dashboard provides users with a high-level overview of relevant Federal discretionary grant programs. The information in the Dashboard is maintained as a secondary resource and may not be updated with the most recent changes to each program's primary guidance materials. Accordingly, please refer to the Federal grant-making agency for the most comprehensive and up-to-date information on a grant opportunity in the Dashboard.

Last updated Date: