The Economic Alliance of Snohomish County (EASC) serves as the Northwest Small Business Transportation Resource Center (NW SBTRC), a regional office of the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of Small Business. The NW SBTRC executes the U.S. DOT’s small business assistance programs throughout the states of Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. The goal of the NW SBTRC is to increase the ability of small businesses to compete for and enter into transportation-related contracts at the local, state and federal levels throughout the region.
The Northwest SBTRC will continue to offer services at its EASC location in Everett, WA, with access to meeting space at Sound Transit and Community Transit. Sound Transit and Community Transit are recipients of FTA funding and are located in Seattle and Everett, WA. The NW SBTRC will periodically be on-site to utilize meeting space at both offices, providing technical service to DBE firms who are interested in doing business with USDOT Funded Recipients. The NW region technical assistance includes procurement assistance (bid preparation and invoice preparation), small business certification application assistance, bonding assistance and financial assistance which include Short Term Lending Program (STLP) and other government lending programs.
The following are highlights of NW SBTRC successes since its inception in 2008 in the Northwest Region:
- Provided assistance and outreach to more than five thousand SDBs in Northwest Region.
- Provided assistance to approximately fifty (50) firms in submitting STLP applications and other lending programs; awarded loans totaling $4 million.
- Assisted more than forty one (41) firms in obtaining/increasing their bonding, with a total of $66 million.
- Assisted and placed sixty five (65) interns at transportation agencies, prime and small contractors for the Women and Girls in Transportation Initiative (WITI). Twenty (20) WITI participants obtained a full time position at transportation agencies/firms.
- Assisted approximately 100 small and disadvantaged businesses in the Northwest Region to obtain more than $40M in contract from transportation and non-transportation projects.
- Hosted the regions’ biggest transportation small business summit, North Puget Sound Small Business Summit (NPSSBS), for two consecutive years. The Summit attracted by 800 people, 100 exhibitors; and more than 70 firms engaged in transportation-related matchmaking sessions with more than twenty small business trainings were conducted during the summit.
Northwest SBTRC Contact Information:
Phone: (425) 248-4222
Phone: (206) 718-7250
Project Coordinator, SBTRC
Phone: (425) 248-4222
Fax: (425) 745-5563
Regional Links for Businesses:
Sound Transit – Diversity Program
Washington State DOT – Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO)
Washington State Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises (OMWBE)
Port of Seattle - Office of Social Responsibility
Small Business Manager
City of Seattle - City Purchasing and Contracting Services
Washington Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) http://washingtonptac.org/
Native PTAC www.nativeptac.org
Washington Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) www.wsbdc.org
Oregon Association Minority Enterprises (OAME)
Director of Diversity and Transit Equity
Governor’s Office of Economic & Business Equity
Oregon Government Contract Assistance Program (GCAP)
Port of Portland
Small Business Development Program Manager