Companies Eligible For Help Under the AMJP
First, a company must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Actively manufactures an aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or a component, part, or systems of an aircraft or aircraft engine under a Federal Aviation Administration production approval; OR
- Hold a certificate issued under part 145 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, for maintenance, repair, and overhaul of aircraft, aircraft engines, components, or propellers; OR
- Operate a process certified to SAE AS9100 related to the design, development, or provision of an aviation product or service, including a part, component, or assembly.
In addition, the company must meet all of the following requirements. When the application process begins, DOT will provide more detailed instructions:
- The company must be “established, created, or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States.”
- The company must have “significant operations in, and a majority of its employees engaged in aviation manufacturing activities and services, or maintenance, repair, and overhaul activities and services based in the United States.”
- The company must have “involuntarily furloughed or laid off at least 10 percent of its workforce in 2020 as compared to 2019 or has experienced at least a 15 percent decline in 2020 revenues as compared to 2019.”
- The company must not have received a credit against applicable employment taxes under section 2301 of the CARES Act (26 U.S.C. 3111 note) for the immediately preceding calendar quarter ending before entering into an AMJP agreement;
- The company must not have received financial assistance under section 4113 of the CARES Act (15 U.S.C. 9073) (providing payroll support to air carriers and contractors); and
- The company must not currently be expending financial assistance under the paycheck protection program established under section 7(a)(36) of the Small Business Act (15 U.S.C. 636(a)(36)), as of the date the employer submits an application under the AMJP.
When the official AMJP application process begins, DOT will publish more detailed instructions.