Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver


Driver in truckTo become a commercial motor vehicle driver, you must obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).  A CDL is a driver's license required for drivers who wish to drive across state lines in the United States to operate any type combination of vehicle which has vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds (11,793 kg) pounds.  In addition, a CDL is required to drive any single vehicle with a gross weight of more than 26,000 pounds or more for commercial use.

New federal rules and regulations now allow State Driver Licensing Agencies (SDLA), the right to waive the commercial driver’s license (CDL) skills test for military personnel who have two years of safe driving experience in a large truck or bus. Other restrictions may be applied by each individual State.

More information about the CDL:

What is your military experience?

MOC Codes for Commercial Drivers License
Service MOC MOC Title
Air Force 2T1X1 Vehicle Operations
Army 88M Motor Transport Operator
Marine Corps 3531 Motor Vehicle Operator

How do I find my State Driver Licensing Agency?

The State Driver License Agency is located in different offices across the country, which may include the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Department of State or the Department of Public Safety.  Active duty military and veterans who wish to take advantage of the skills test waiver should contact their home SDLA.  For a list of all SDLAs, visit the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) website to find the specific Motor Vehicle Agency:

What are veterans resources for training and certifications?

You may be able to use veteran’s benefits to cover the cost of training or testing for specific certifications/licenses.  For more information about benefits to help support your costs visit:

I have my state license. Where can I find available jobs?

The US military provides a number of job assistance services.  There are several search engines that are available specifically for veterans as they explore civilian careers Suggested Key Words when searching for Driver positions:  Bus Driver, Truck Driver, Flatbed Driver, and Tanker Truck Driver

Who do I contact for information on the CDL?

For more information regarding questions of converting military driving experience to a commercial driver’s license, contact Selden Fritschner, Chief of the CDL Section, 202-366-0677.

VA for Vets logo