General Information Regarding NEPA
The U.S. Department of Transportation (Department) is seeking public comment on proposed updates to its NEPA implementing procedures, DOT Order 5610.1D, Procedures for Considering Environmental Impacts. The Department is proposing this update and seeking public review and comment on the proposal, consistent with the Council on Environmental Quality's regulations implementing NEPA. The document was published in the Federal Register on December 20, 2016, and comments may be made now to docket number DOT-OST-2016-0239. The comment period will end 21 days from the date of publication. For more information, see the Federal Register Notice and the Department's existing NEPA implementing procedures, DOT Order 5610.1C, and administrative record regarding the proposed new categorical exclusions.
- Council on Environmental Quality NEPA Homepage: Providing publications, regulations and other information useful to the public for learning about and understanding NEPA.
- Citizen’s Guide to NEPA
- FHWA’s Environmental Tool Kit web page: - Provides singular gateway to environmental resources that will help applicants better understand the requirements of NEPA for projects administered by FHWA.
- FHWA NEPA Implementing Procedures: The specific regulatory language that directs the application of NEPA to FHWA projects.
- NHI course 142052 Introduction to NEPA and Transportation Decision Making
- FHWA’s on-line community of practice for project development, NEPA, and environmental matters