Reconnecting Communities - Resources
The following selected resources are intended to help prospective applicants prepare to apply for a Reconnecting Communities Pilot (RCP) discretionary grant and conduct project activities, if awarded RCP funding.
- FHWA Community Connections Program provides transportation agencies metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs), local and tribal governments, and other practitioners with the information, tools, and support necessary to connect people to services and opportunities. The program includes:
- Livability Resources (FHWA) page provides links to USDOT programs that promote livability in transportation planning to assist decisionmakers in integrating those principles through their communities’ transportation systems.
- Tools for Sustainable Communities (FHWA) cover a range of topics that decisionmakers and stakeholders should consider when assessing, planning, and designing sustainable communities.
- A Transportation Toolkit (USDOT) that is geared toward members of the public, to help them learn how to engage in the transportation decision-making process at the local, regional, State and federal levels.
- Case Studies (FHWA) of a wide range of innovative approaches to improving community quality of life through transportation investments sorted by topic and state.
- Transportation Planning Process Briefing Book: Key Issues for Transportation Decisionmakers, Officials, and Staff (FHWA / FTA)
Equity and Mapping Tools
- EJScreen: Environmental Justice Screening and Mapping Tool (EPA)
- Areas of Persistent Poverty Project (APP) (USDOT)
- FHWA - HEPGIS Maps: Socioeconomics and Equity Analysis (FHWA)
- Transportation Disadvantaged Census Tracts (arcgis.com) (USDOT)
- The Climate and Economic Justice Screening Tool (CEQ)
- Social Vulnerability Index (CDC)
- PLACES: Local Data for Better Health (CDC)
- Rural Areas (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Urban Areas (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Explore Census Data (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Statistical Products and Data (USDOT BTS)
Community Engagement Tools
- Public Involvement (FHWA)
- How to Engage Low Literacy and Limited English Proficient Populations: This booklet was written for practitioners working in transportation, but it can help you understand how community members should be engaged in the transportation decision-making process.
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law - Local Hiring Preference for Construction Jobs (FHWA)
Equity and Equitable Development Tools
- U.S. Department of Transportation Equity Action Plan (USDOT)
- Transportation Equity Overview (FHWA)
- Equitable Development and Environmental Justice Overview (EPA)
- Equitable Development and Anti-Displacement Collaborative (EPA)
- Displacement of Lower-Income Families in Urban Areas Report (HUD)
- Tools and Practices for Land Use Integration (FHWA)
Active Transportation and Shared Modes Tools
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Funding Opportunities (USDOT)
- Shared Use Paths Along or Near Freeways and Bicycles on Freeways (FHWA)
- Boulevards from Divided Highways (FHWA)
Grant Assistance Resources
- DOT Navigator – How to Apply for Grants (USDOT) a series of backgrounders to help those considering applying for Federal funding understand the process, key requirements, and other tips
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law – Technical Assistance and Local Support (FHWA)
- Grants 101 (Grants.gov)
- Register for a System for Award Management (SAM) Number (SAM.gov)
- Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (2 CFR Part 200)
- Applicant Toolkit for Competitive Funding Programs at USDOT (USDOT)
- Coordinating Council on Access and Mobility Federal Fund Braiding Guide (FTA)
- Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Overview (FRA)
- Discretionary Grant Program Tool (FRA) a consolidated listing of different FRA grant programs
- Railroad Crossing Elimination Grant Program (FRA)
- Consolidated Rail Infrastructure Safety Improvements (CRISI) Program (FRA)