FMCSA Issues Final Rule to Implement Eight Non-Discretionary Provisions of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issued a final rule to effectuate eight non-discretionary provisions mandated by the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act (FAST Act).
The final rule implements the following FAST Act provisions:
- Section 5206 – Applications for Exemptions (extends time frame of an exemption from two years to five years)
- Section 5507 – Electronic Logging Device Requirements (for recreational vehicle operators)
- Section 5518 – Covered Farm Vehicles
- Section 5519 – Operators of Hi-Rail Vehicles
- Section 5521 – Ready Mix Concrete Delivery Vehicles
- Section 5522 – Transportation of Construction Materials and Equipment
- Section 5524 – Exemptions from Requirements for Certain Welding Trucks Used in Pipeline Industry
- Section 7208 – Hazardous Materials Endorsement Exemption
FMCSA’s adoption of these regulations is a non-discretionary, ministerial action that the agency takes without issuing a notice of proposed rulemaking and receiving public comment, in accordance with the good cause exception available to federal agencies under the Administrative Procedure Act. Click here to read the Federal Register notice. Contact: Troy Green: (202) 366-9999.