The U.S Department of Transportation, Office of the Under Secretary for Policy has a unique program to foster the development of transportation related research by providing program assignments for individuals in academia. This program is structured to give visiting scholars an opportunity to work on the development of transportation policy with both national and international implications.
Assignments are designed to expose visiting scholars to the legislative process and the operational development of policy. The assignment gives exposure to academic concepts during the building of proposed policy. These assignments allow civilian employees of Federal agencies to serve with eligible non-Federal organizations for a limited period without loss of employee rights and benefits.
2018 Visiting Scholar Program APPLICATION OPEN PERIOD: Coming Soon
Please click HERE to submit your application.
- Eligible participants currently serve in state and local governments, institutions of higher education, Indian tribal governments and other eligible organizations that support transportation related studies or research such as; safety, environment, infrastructure, aviation, urban planning, economics, international trade, security and finance.
- U.S Citizenship required.
- Must submit a COMPLETE application including the required documentation (see documentation required) no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of the open period in order to be considered.
- Applications will be evaluated based on completeness of application and required documents listed below.
- Must be available to participate during the entire duration of the program. Assignments can be for a period up to two years. Extensions beyond initial two years may be granted in special circumstances.
- Upon acceptance into the program, selectees will be required to undergo a background investigation to determine suitability to work with the U.S. DOT.
- Non-Federal employee assignments to a Federal agency will be subject to a number of provisions of law governing the ethical and other conduct of Federal employees.
How to Apply:
To receive full consideration, applicants must submit a COMPLETE application to include all requested information and documentation.
- Current resume
- Two references (professional and/or personal)
- One letter of recommendation
Applications should be submitted via Visiting Scholars no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of the open period. Any questions regarding the program and/or application process may be referred to the points-of-contact identified below.
Eric Buchanan, Senior Management Analyst