Resources for Teachers and Mentors
A collection of resources to assist teachers in teaching women and girls about transportation-related fields and professions.
ASCEville, developed by ASCE and PBS, features resources for students, parents, engineers and teachers on civil engineering. It’s filled with classroom resources, digital media, games, videos, handouts and more. You’re sure to find something useful here.
Lesson Plans developed by teachers on transportation topics
Plus factor – another source for ideas to introduce a variety of transportation topics for grades 6-12. It’s organized by 7 career pathways:
- Health, Safety and Environmental Management
- Logistics Planning & Management Services
- Transportation Operations
- Transportation Systems/Infrastructure Planning, Management and Regulation
- Warehousing and Distribution Center Operations
- Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance
- Sales and Service
Career Exploration: You can also help students identify what careers they might be interested in through several career exploration tools offered by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Career Videos for Transportation, Distribution and Logistics: The US Department of Labor has developed a series of transportation career videos that you can use during your presentation. Pick one or two that relate to your mode—that you can highlight and discuss. Provide lots of time for students to ask questions about types of classes, programs, and career opportunities are available.
- Career One Stop – Pathways to Career Success provides tools and links to help identify interests, explore careers, and find education options.
Community Mobility Assessments: Assess the walkability and bikeability in the community. After a brief introduction about the concepts of livability, take a walk around the community using the checklists to assess both strengths and weaknesses.
This Resource Center provides bicycle safety education information for the following groups: Preschool (under age 5), Beginner (ages 5-8), Young (Ages 9-12), teenage (13+), Adult, Senior, Motorists, and Adults Teaching Children.
There are also other great tools that are available for community groups regarding walking to school or other parts of the community.
You might also help students and members of the community explore their own community walk score using the tool that is shows over 3 million Walk Scores every day and over 6,000 sites use Walk Score services.
Public Transportation: The Route to Freedom. A Transportation Education Program for Students with Disabilities in Grades 8-12 [CD and DVD]
Buses and Trains for Everyone [Combo - Print w/ CD and DVD]