Bulletin Number: TSB 2013-05R Attachment B
TRANSITION STEPS FROM SmartBenefits® ALLOCATION TO THE TRANServe DEBIT CARD
Below are supplemental instructions to provide TRANServe participants with steps to transition to the TRANServe Debit Card for the January transit benefit.
- Determine if you will need to transition to the TRANServe Debit Card.
- If you currently allocate your transit benefit through the WMATA SmartBenefits® program, you must transition to the Debit card.
- If your transit benefit is split between an allocation and an amount on your SmarTrip card, then determine if a split is necessary prior to the Debit Card transition.
- If your monthly commute is over the statutory limit of $125.00 then all of your transit benefit should be transition to the Debit Card.
- If your monthly commute is less than the statutory limit of $125.00 and you have certified to a requirement to use WMATA transit and another transit provider (MARC, VRE, or MD buses) then provide the amount that is required for each; Debit Card and the SmarTrip card.
- Contact your agency POC for information regarding distribution, activation and use of the TRANServe Debit Card.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and other information on the TRANServe website at: https://www.transportation.gov/transerve/debit-card.html
- Coordinate with vanpool operator or non-WMATA 3rd party vendor to initiate purchase of January fare.
- If purchasing benefits through a 3rd party vendor, please contact them directly.
- If your 3rd party vendor is Commuter Direct, please follow the steps below:
EXISTING CommuterDirect.com customer:
- Log into your CommuterDirect.com account
- Go into your “Payment Methods” tab
- Press the Employer-Sponsored Debit Card, “Add New Debit Card” button (towards the bottom of the screen)
- Enter your full Debit Card number, expiration date and 3 digit Security Code
- Press “Save”
- The system will verify that you have entered a valid Employee Sponsored Debit Card (TRANServe Debit Card)
- If you have an active renewable order, you will need to change your payment options on that renewable order
- Remain logged into your CommuterDirect.com account
- Go into your “Renewable Orders” tab
- Under Active Renewable Orders press the Blue “Edit Renewable Order” button
- Under Payment Promise options, press the drop down menu and selected the newly added debit card option
- Verify amount that you would like to use from your debit card (for most customers that number will be $125 which is the current maximum amount)
- Press the “Update Renewable Order” button
- The screen will now show “Your Renewable Order Has Been Updated.”
- After the above two steps have been completed, you will have added your new debit card and added it to your renewable order.
NEW CommuterDirect.com Customers:
- Go to www.commuterdirect.com
- Press the “Debit Card” button on the right hand side of the window
- Read through the “Buy Passes With an Employer-Sponsored Debit Card” description
- Please check box at the bottom to verify that you have read the details above
- Press the “Click here to create an account and get started”
- Enter your information into the information screens provided
- Select a Security question to answer, this will only be used if you forget your password.
- Enter your shipping address (this is where we will mail your transit pass)
- Review the terms and conditions and check the box that you understand and accept the CommuterDirect.com Terms and Conditions
- Press the “Create Account” button at the bottom of the page
- Enter your TRANServe Debit card number, expiration date and CVV#
- Press Save
- Follow the remaining options to finalize your account with CommuterDirect.com
Things to remember:
- Renewable orders are mailed out in the middle of the previous month (your January pass will be placed in the mail as early as December 10th), if you need to suspend your order for a month, please do so by the 9th of the month prior
- Your account with CommuterDirect.com is your account, your employer does not have the ability to make changes to your account. It is the responsibility of each customer to manage their account as needed.
- One time orders can be placed using your TRANServe debit card as early as the 10th day of the month before the benefits are intended to be used.
- Your January funds will be available between the 10th of December and the 9th of January.
- Once January 10th arrives, your TRANServe debit card will be funded with your February benefits
- TRANServe debit card funds are available on a “Use or Lose” basis, please place orders every month to ensure that funds are not lost.
- CommuterDirect.com has agents available Monday-Friday from 7am until 6pm to assist you with your account. 703-228-7433
- If purchasing benefits through a vanpool company or privately owned vanpool, coordinate with your vanpool operator to initiate payments with your TRANServe Debit Card.