DOT demonstrates its commitment to sustainability, in both our internal operations and our mission critical work.
DOT and its employees will continue to integrate environmental, economic, and social considerations that embrace sustainability into its day-to-day activities, operations and facilities to reduce the Department’s environmental impacts.
Our Sustainability Efforts
DOT will incorporate sustainability principles into our policies, operations, investments and research through innovative initiatives and actions such as:
- Infrastructure investments and other grant programs,
- Innovative financial tools and credit programs,
- Rule- and policy- making,
- Research, technology development and application,
- Public information, and
- Enforcement and monitoring
DOT has incorporated sustainable practices into the Department’s mission and operations. DOT will continue to pursue opportunities for the national transportation system which:
- Promote energy and natural resource conservation,
- Decrease emissions of greenhouse gases (GHGs) and other pollutants,
- Enhance our operations by minimizing use of hazardous materials and chemicals,
- Advance our national interest in increasing energy efficiency,
- Reduce our dependence on fossil fuels,
- Ensure transportation infrastructure resiliency and
- Build livable communities.
DOT’s Sustainability Strategies:
Sustainable principles and practices are incorporated into DOT’s mission and the nation’s transportation system
DOT ensures our operations and facilities meet performance goals to minimize impacts on the environment.
DOT strives to meet the obligations and requirements of environmental laws and regulations.
- Jan 2016 DOT Sustainability/Energy Scorecard
- U.S. Department of Transportation Joins Workplace Charging Challenge
- 2014 Climate Adaptation Plan