Transportation Safety Regulation in the United States Government
Transportation safety is regulated by multiple Department of Transportation agencies, as well other Federal agencies.
- National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Most Wanted List
- Highway safety in general and vehicle safety in particular is the responsibility of the DOT’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Design standards for safe highways are the responsibility of the Federal Highway Administration’s Office of Roadway Safety.
- Safety standards for commercial motor carriers and motor vehicle operators are the responsibility of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Railroad safety is the province of the Federal Railroad Administration’s Office of Railroad Safety;
- Aviation safety is the responsibility of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA);
- The Federal Transit Administration has assumed responsibility for federal oversight of transit agency safety.
- Pipeline safety is the responsibility of the Office of Pipeline Safety within the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA).
- Safe transportation of hazardous materials is the responsibility of the Office of Hazardous Materials within the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.
- Marine safety is the responsibility of the U.S. Coast Guard within the Department of Homeland Security.
- Offshore pipeline safety is the responsibility of the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement.
- Major accidents are investigated by an independent agency, the National Transportation Safety Board.
- Workplace safety, including the safety of transportation workers, is the responsibility of the Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Hazardous waste is generally subject to regulation by PHMSA as a hazardous material, but is subject to additional regulation by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- The Nuclear Regulatory Commission sets standards for the design and manufacture of packages containing radioactive materials, while PHMSA regulates actual transport.
Last updated: Friday, April 15, 2016