Information for Capacity Builders
For Those Interested in Providing Technical Assistance through the Thriving Communities Program - Submit an Application by November 28, 2023
The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking applications from eligible applicants interested in providing technical assistance, planning, and capacity building support to disadvantaged communities to help them build the technical tools and organizational capacity to compete for federal aid and deliver quality infrastructure projects that enable their communities and neighborhoods to thrive.
This year’s Thriving Communities Program offers two separate opportunities, solicited under a single Notice of Funding Opportunity:
- Under the TCP National Program (TCP-N), DOT seeks applications from Capacity Builders interested in and capable of providing technical assistance, planning, and capacity building support to 15-20 diverse communities located across the United States
- Under the TCP Regional Pilot Program (TCP-R), DOT seeks applications from Capacity Builders interested in providing technical assistance, planning, and capacity building support to communities within their geographies.
DOT has published a list of interested Capacity Builders for the FY 2023 Thriving Communities Program to facilitate teaming between potential applicants. If your organization would like to be included on this list, please contact ThrivingCommunities@dot.gov.
Thriving Communities National Capacity Builder Program (TCP-N)
The Thriving Communities National Program (TCP-N) will fund organizations to provide technical assistance, planning, and capacity building support to communities located across the U.S. and selected by DOT through a separate but parallel Letter of Interest process. Eligible applicants to the TCP-N program include:
- Non-profit organizations
- Philanthropic entities
- Other technical assistance providers including academic institutions or private sector organizations with a demonstrated capacity to develop and provide technical assistance, planning, and capacity building to a range of communities across the country.
Thriving Communities Regional Capacity Builder Pilot Program (TCP-R)
For the FY 2023 program, DOT is excited to announce the new Thriving Communities Regional Pilot Program (TCP-R). The program funds state, regional, Tribal, and local governments and organizations to provide technical assistance, planning, and capacity building support to communities for transportation plans and projects located within their geographic/service area. The program emphasizes support for plans or projects that align with housing, economic development, public health, climate, and other community development goals. Unlike the TCP-N program, TCP-R applicants will select communities from their own geographic service area; DOT will not select these communities.
- Eligible applicants to the TCP-R program include:
- State governments and their agencies
- Indian Tribes
- Local governments and their agencies
- Governmental planning, economic development, or transportation organizations working at the regional or metropolitan level
- Regional, Tribal, or statewide planning non-profits
FY 2023 Notice of Funding Opportunity
The FY23 Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) is now open for applicants. The application period will close on November 28, 2023. For questions, contact ThrivingCommunities@dot.gov.
How Will DOT Make Selections?
DOT anticipates awarding at least three separate cooperative agreements (of $4-5 million each) to TCP-N applicants, as well as at least four cooperative agreements ($1-2 million each) to TCP-R applicants. DOT will prioritize applicants who demonstrate the ability to develop and provide technical assistance, planning, and capacity building tools to disadvantaged communities.
DOT will review complete and eligible applications and evaluate them based on the applicant’s approach to technical assistance and capacity building, teaming arrangements, proven success, and program management and evaluation.
See Section E of the NOFO for more detailed information about the review and evaluation process.