Customer Service Standards
Our Commitments to You...
- We will acknowledge receipts of appeals filed in writing to this office within 4 business days.
- We will process certification appeals and issue decisions within 180 days of receipt of complete appeal packages.
- We will offer 3 workshops on certification procedures to recipients of DOT financial assistance.
- We will offer 3 workshops to individuals and businesses on DBE eligibility criteria and grounds for denial of certification appeal rights.
- We will provide regulatory and DBE eligibility criteria for certification as a DBE through our Web page.
Report to Our Customers
Following the Department of Transportation's 1999 DBE regulation, the Departmental Office of Civil Rights (DOCR) revised its customer service standards to realistically reflect the time required of civil rights staff to process certification appeals and issue decisions. Our standard processing time of 60 days established in FY 1996 changed in FY 1999 to a standard processing time of 180 days. However, DOCR has established as a goal, a processing time of 90–120 days from the date of receipt of records.
DOCR is an active participant in the Department's Disadvantaged Business Enterprise program and continues to work with the Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization (OSDBU) to offer workshops around the country on certification procedures to recipients of DOT financial assistance and to individuals and businesses on DBE eligibility criteria and denial of certification appeal rights. In addition, DOCR is an integral part of the DBE Task Force, an internal entity composed of Operating Administration representatives and chaired by the Deputy Assistant General Counsel. The task force reviews all DBE programmatic issues, makes recommendations for regulatory changes, and develops guidance for DOT recipients.
Improving Customer Service
DOCR has made some important changes in the day-to-day management of its DBE Certification Appeals program, changes that are intended to make the program more responsive to the needs of its customers.
- DBE Appeals Tracking System:DOCR made investments to enhance its current DBE appeals tracking system. Enhancements to the system will improve the tracking and monitoring of the progress of each appeal from receipt to final agency decision.
- DBE Appeal Decisions: Copies of appeal decisions are posted regularly by DOCR.