Below are resources that explain review requirements and discuss the work underway to improve project delivery.
National Environmental Policy Act Procedures - The Operating Administrations within the Department have their own specific procedures for complying with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Federal Highway Administration/Federal Transit Administration Joint Procedures
- Federal Railroad Administration NEPA Procedures
- Federal Aviation Administration NEPA Procedures for Airport Projects
Federal Infrastructure Projects Permitting Dashboard - View comprehensive project schedules for major infrastructure projects.
Permit Inventory - Our searchable database of permitting and review information. You can find information on permits and approvals as well and NEPA and other reviews.
Implementation Plan for the Presidential Memorandum on Modernizing Federal Infrastructure Permitting - An Implementation Plan, which identifies:
- Four over-arching strategies
- 15 specific reforms
- Nearly 100 near-term and long-term milestones to institutionalize and drive these reforms across Federal agencies.
The strategies are:
- Strategy 1: Institutionalize Interagency Coordination and Transparency by formalizing interagency coordination, including: early identification of a lead agency; synchronizing separate federal review; and permitting processes and decisions.
- Strategy 2: Improve Project Planning, Siting, and Application Quality by developing tools to assist project applicants in planning for a major infrastructure project and support effective and timely decision-making by agency staff once the federal process begins.
- Strategy 3: Improve Permitting Reviews and Mitigation by supporting agency staff in effectively implementing existing regulations, policies, and guidance, as well as identifying barriers.
- Strategy 4: Drive Continued Improvement by establishing a team dedicated to implementation of the reforms across agencies, further analyzing agency processes, identifying additional reforms, and developing reliable metrics to track timeframes and outcomes for communities and the environment.
Federal Highway Administration Environmental Review Toolkit - A one-stop resource for information and updates about transportation and environment. The toolkit provides up-to-date information on transportation and environment policy, guidance, best practices, and training.
Eco-Logical - Developed by the Federal Highway Administration and seven Federal agency partners, the Eco-Logical approach brings together transportation, natural resource, and regulatory agencies to integrate their plans and arrive at a joint set of environmental priorities across an ecosystem. The approach results in time and cost savings, as well as better environmental outcomes.